Ringwood House was built on small acreage near the village of Exeter for clients wanting a solar passive and energy self-sufficient house, framing extensive views.
Exposed to highland winds, we devised living areas opening to the outdoors on both southern and northern aspects to take advantage of breezes in summer and winter sun.
The house has a great energy efficiency, employing:
- geothermal heat exchange in-floor heating system
- 6kw photovoltaic solar system
- heat exchange hot water
- external walls are reverse brick veneer to maximize thermal mass
- northern awning with a living plant wall to reduce summer solar penetration
- butterfly roof with deep awnings allows for maximum solar penetration in winter and hides the large photovoltaic panels on the roof.