The Gully House is a weekend escape on a quiet and private site close to Bundanoon town centre. Nestled in old forest with beautiful views down a shady gully the site had many challenges:
- Bush fire prone site ‘Flame Zone’
- Nature reserve
- Riparian zone
- Steep site with difficult access
The client desired a small retreat immersed in the site with an equal measure of modernism and the natural environment.
The plan is a simple cross shape with bedrooms on the ground floor and living areas connecting the sloped site to the tree tops views. The cantilevered living room opens to a small balcony with a bird’s eye view of the gully below.
This plan offers
- large entertaining decks either side of the living space
- connects every room with the natural surrounds, making the small footprint feel larger inside than its floor area
- building materials which take on attractive patina with age yet provide fire-protection and security
- minimum impact on the site – a small footprint sitting into the hill